Communication is merely the act of transferring information from one place, person, or group to another. Every communication calls for (at least) one sender, a message, and a recipient. These include our emotions, the cultural circumstances, the medium which we used to communicate, and even our location.
We use communication every day in nearly every habitat, including in the workplace. Communication skills are necessary when building relationships, sharing ideas, assigning responsibilities, managing a team, and much more.
You can learn and improve communication skills which can help you triumph in your career, make you a competitive job candidate, and build your network.
There are four dominant class of communication we use daily:
What are communication skills?
Communication skills are the soft skills which you use when giving and receiving information. Communication skills call for listening, speaking, observing, and empathizing.
Being able to communicate productively is perhaps the most essential life skills. It is what allows us to pass information to other people and to understand what they say to us.
- Communication, at its simplest, is the act of conveying information.
- One can communicate by using any of the dominant class of communication, verbally (using voice), written (using printed or digital media), visually (using logos, maps, or graphs), or non-verbally (using body language, sign, and pitch of voice).
- Effective communication involves the use of all 4 dominant classes while communicating.
Communication skills may take a lifetime to master- anyone can improve communication skills and mastered them. There are many ways on how you can fairly improve communication skills and ensure that you can transmit and receive information effectively.
Also Read– 9 Ways How to Improve Problem-Solving Skills
Why good communication skills are important?
Your good communication skills can help you in all aspects of your life, from your professional life to social gatherings and everything in between.
The ability to communicate information precisely, clearly, and as intended, is a vital life skill and something that should not be overlooked. It’s never too late to work on and improve communication skills.
By improving your communication skills, you may well find you have improved your interpersonal skills and standard of life.
How to improve communication skills at home?
We have seen the importance of Communication Skills above in the article, and we are very much aware of how important it is, and one can improve communication skills with time.
Here are the 10 Tips that will help you Improve Communication Skills at home:
1. Make communication a priority.
Communicate with others at home; it will help you sharpen your skills. Also, take online classes, read articles and books, watch movies, and series online to learn the art of communication.
- Ask open-ended rather than close-ended questions.
- Narrate the process of communication both verbally and non-verbally.
- The barriers while communicating like process barriers, personal barriers, physical barriers, and semantic barriers must be taken care off and prevented.
2. Read newspaper
Make a habit of reading a newspaper every day, which will not only improve your communication skills but also keep you updated on current affairs. Reading a newspaper is one of the most emphasize activities used by every English learning class.
What is it about a newspaper that makes them an essential part of the English learning process?
The newspaper is valued more because they give content for daily conversations, increase knowledge about current affairs, and a source for new reading materials daily.
You can improve communication skills to a great extent if you frequently read newspapers.
Ways to read a newspaper article:
- Look for interesting sections
- Regular practice
- Change periodically
- Discuss with others
- Understand the context
- Read it in mind
3. Simplify and stay on message.
Use simple words with their respective synonyms and always try to communicate via sentences. While texting take care of inappropriate and non-effective words.
Effective communication requires the message to be:
- Clear and concise
- Relevant to the needs of the receiver
- Applicable to the situation
4. Engage your listeners or readers.
If you want to improve communication skills, then this is the most important step which you need to focus on. Draw your listeners and readers into the conversation. Ask questions and invite opinions. Solicit their feedback.
- Describe a scene or a character.
- Use concrete, specific examples to illustrate points.
- Share a personal experience.
- Relate to a recent event.
- Ask a provocative question.
- Tell patrons what the topic has to do with them.
- Build audience participation by making your subject immediate, personal, and local.
Read extensively will anyway help you improve communication skills. Reading helps build your vocabulary, intensifies your sentence-structure abilities, and helps you improve communication skills.
As you read, you will become more comfortable with the language and be able to use it more expectantly, both in oral communication and written work.
Improving your reading flow is more effective when you are interested in the topic, so, picking a material that you are familiar with or have an interest in will certainly help.
Include dictionary reading in your everyday schedule to increase your vocabulary.
6. Make sure you are understood.
Don’t blame the other person if they cannot understand you. Instead, look for ways to illuminate or rephrase what you are trying to say so they can understand it. After you’ve paid attention (and understood) take time to “draft” in your head what you want to say.
How can you be certain what you communicated was understood by the receiver?
The guarantee of your message being understood begins with the message and the manner of delivery.
Here are some general guidelines for ensuring that they clearly understand your message
- Communicate just one message at a time. Don’t mystify the receiver with multiple messages and make them sort through them.
- Express your message in clear language. Don’t try to “sugar coat” tough messages.
- Use the appropriate media. Detailed messages need to be written. Oral messages should contain minimal content. Both formats may be useful as reinforcements.
- Give an example to support your message. People learn from examples as much as they do words because examples build visual images.
7. Develop your listening skills, too.
To improve communication skills you must also enhance your listening skills.
The best communicators are almost consistently are the best listeners. Listen without judgment is very essential life skills. Don’t be engrossed by thinking about what you want to say next.
- Use reflective listening, i.e. paraphrase what your partner says back to him/her.
- Use an effective range of listening skills in a specified situation, ensuring contributions are suited to the purpose.
Here are few tips that will help you develop your listening skills.
- Face the speaker during the communication.
- Be attentive, but relaxed.
- Keep an open mind.
- Listen to the words and seek to picture what the speaker is saying.
- Don’t interrupt and don’t foist your “solutions.”
- Wait for the speaker to pause to ask to elucidate questions.
- Ask questions only to ensure understanding.
- Seek to feel what the speaker is feeling.
- Give the speaker regular feedback.
- Pay recognition to what isn’t said—to nonverbal cues.
Also Read- Impact on Education Due to COVID-19 in India
8. Body language is important.
Body language is an important component of communication skills. Studies exhibit that 65% of all communication is non-verbal. If you want to improve communication skills you must pay attention to body language.
Watch for visual signs that your listener recognizes, agrees, or disagrees with your message. And be aware that your body is conveying signals.
Facial expression and eye movements are very major while conveying your feelings. A smile on the face reflects confidence. If you are in the summit and you are not moving your eyes over all the participants, you will fail to add impact.
You need to maintain the potency of voice to match the heat of the topic. Good posture coordinates your verbal language. If you have the right body posture, you can undoubtedly control your voice.
Your body weight needs to be equally balanced on the feet to have accurate posture. Try to observe your body posture when you are happy and confident. You will find that your body is equally balanced and consequently, you are taking a full breath at ease and the body is moving contemporaneous with your voice.
9. Maintain eye contact.
If you want to improve communication skills then you need to learn the power of eye contact. Whether speaking to a crowd or one-on-one, maintaining eye contact builds credibility and exhibits you care about your listeners.
Positive eye contact helps you build affinity with your audience and keeps them engaged with your presentation. It also gives them a sense of involvement and fetches your message on a personal level.
Tips on how to improve eye contact:
- See your audience as individual listeners
- Involve everyone in the conversation
- Endure eye contact long enough to make a connection, then move on
- Avoid your eyes when a person grows uncomfortable
- Ensure eye contact as you convey all critical lines
- Meet audience members before the presentation starts
10. Respect your audience.
Concede your message is not just about you or what you want. You should sincerely care about the needs and the distinctive perspectives of those to whom you are communicating.
One of the finest ways to show your respect is simply by paying attention to what your audience says and this you can learn while you improve communication skills.
Mindful Presenting provides the platform of respect for the audience in the following 9 principles:
Also Read- 11 Skills Required To Become a Future Leader
Without a doubt, soft skills are very important for us, and one of the most important soft skills is communication skills. This skill plays a very important role in our life. and if you want a successful career you must learn to improve communication skills.
In this article, I have given tips on how to improve communication skills at home. If I have missed any point on Just drop a comment and let me know.
Also, Check Piyusha’s Arts Gallery for handmade paintings. She is also the contributor to the article on how to improve communication skills at home